Undergraduate Research Opportunities
UCSB undergraduates are trained and mentored by CEEM researchers to develop solutions for critical energy challenges in four key focus areas of fundamental science and engineering: photovoltaics, thermoelectrics, solid-state lighting, and energy storage. The Program sponsors up to 10 interns, who are paid $11 per hour for a maximum of 100 hours/quarter.
In addition to their research responsibilities, interns must be enrolled in “The Practice of Science” class offered through CSEP which will begin Winter 2014 quarter and continue through Spring 2014 quarter on Tuesdays and Thursdays 5:00-6:15 PM. Participants will receive 3-4 units of credit for this class. Interns may petition to replace the “Practice of Science” class with another course covering relevant information with emphasis in their discipline.
The application deadline is 5pm, Friday, October 25, 2013.
This program is open to undergraduate students who meet all of the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled at UC Santa Barbara as a full time student
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Currently have junior or senior academic standing
- Majoring in science, engineering, or mathematics
Application Process, Part 1:
In addition to filling out the online application form, please be prepared to submit:
1. A statement of interest (max 8,000 characters), which should discuss all the following items:
- Your interest in participating in undergraduate research through CEEM; indicate also which of the four key focus areas (photovoltaics, thermoelectrics, solid-state lighting, and energy storage) interests you and why
- Your goals in participating in this program; discuss how this experience may help you in attaining your career goals and what you expect to gain from the internship
- Any relevant past work experience; discuss your ability to work with groups of people
TIP: Prepare your statement of interest ahead of time and make sure it is well written, less than 8,000 characters, and contains all the requested information. You may want to prepare it as a Word document and then cut and paste into the textbox provided in the online application.
2. A 1-page resume with a history of all your work and laboratory experience (PDF less than 2MB)
3. A copy of your unofficial transcripts from all colleges you attended (PDF less than 2MB)
Have both Resume and Transcripts ready to upload before filling out the application form. You will not be able to save the form and upload the documents at a later time.
4. One letter of recommendation
The letter should be written by a course instructor or faculty advisor who is familiar with your scientific skills. Please send the link below to your letter writers: all letters must be submitted online by the letter writer and are due by the application deadline.
5. Identify 4 possible research sponsors from the list of CEEM UCSB Faculty
Online Application: https://csep.cnsi.ucsb.edu/forms/ug/CEEM/Application.php
Recommendation Form: https://csep.cnsi.ucsb.edu/forms/ug/CEEM/Form.php
Application Process, Part 2:
To be completed after you have been selected for the program:
1. A 1-page project proposal
The proposal should describe the research project you have arranged with your research sponsor. In particular, it should include:
• Background information about the research area
• A specific discussion of the activities you will be doing in your research project
2. A letter of support from your research sponsor indicating their support of your project. Your lab mentor should also be identified in this letter.
For questions or to receive more information, please contact:Maria Napoli California NanoSystems Institute Elings Hall 1201 mnapoli [at] cnsi [dot] ucsb [dot] edu Phone: 805.893.2437 Fax: 805.893.6132
See what past CEEM interns had to say about their experience:
The CEEM Internship Program is supported by the Department of Energy Office of Basic Energy Sciences